Re: [HACKERS] Update on my 6.4.2 progress

From: Wayne Piekarski <wayne(at)senet(dot)com(dot)au>
To: wayne(at)senet(dot)com(dot)au (Wayne Piekarski)
Cc: hannu(at)trust(dot)ee, wayne(at)senet(dot)com(dot)au, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Update on my 6.4.2 progress
Date: 1999-06-21 09:11:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > > I guess my next question is, can i comment out the fsync call?
> >
> > if you ar confident in your os and hardware, you can
> > pass the -F flag to backend and no fsyncs are done.
> >
> > (add -o '-F' to postmaster startup line)
> >
> > I think it is in some faq too.
>
> I already have the -o -F switch in the startup file (which I believe is
> working) but I'm under the impression from what I read that there are two
> fsync's - one you can switch off, and one which is fixed into the code
> and possibly can't be removed?

Eeeep! When I wrote the above, I was mistaken. My config file did not have
-o -F, which was why the fsync's were occuring. Sorry for messing you
around here ....

What I was concerned about was the lack of caching and thrashing, but I
guess I can solve that with no fsync.

thanks,
Wayne

Wayne Piekarski Tel: (08) 8221 5221
Research & Development Manager Fax: (08) 8221 5220
SE Network Access Pty Ltd Mob: 0407 395 889
222 Grote Street Email: wayne(at)senet(dot)com(dot)au
Adelaide SA 5000 WWW: http://www.senet.com.au