Re: [HACKERS] BeOS port

From: "Cyril VELTER" <cyril(at)mail(dot)micronet(dot)fr>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] BeOS port
Date: 1999-06-16 22:22:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I've already tried to put the exec back. But then I hit a problem with
"MyProcPort" which is not initialised in the backend and make the
backend crash. I've also found that "MyCancelKey" is set in postmaster.
Are there any others ?

Regarding the old code (6.3.2), there have been a lot of change in
DoBackend/DoExec. I really need some expert advice on what to do.

cyril

>> Hi alls
>>
>> I'm working on a port of postgres on BeOS (www.be.com). BeOS is not
>> a real UNIX, but it provide a subset of the posix API. At this stage
>> I've a working version ofit. But since 6.4.2, I've a lot of problems
>> (dynamic loading doesn't work any more...) with the fact that
>> postgresmain is call directly instead of the old exec method. BeOS
>> really don't like to do a lot of thing after a fork and before an
exec
>> :=(.
>> I would like to know how hard it would be to add the exec call. As
>> I understand it, I have to get back all global variables and shared
>> memory and perhaps doing something with sockets/file descriptors ?
I've
>> a ready solution for shared memory but I need some help regarding
the
>> others points.
>
>You can put back the exec fairly easily. You just need to pass the
>proper parameters, and change the fork to an exec. You can look at
the
>older code that did the exec for an example, and #ifdef the exec()
back