Re: [HACKERS] Postgres 6.5 beta2 and beta3 problem

From: Daniel Kalchev <daniel(at)digsys(dot)bg>
To: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Postgres 6.5 beta2 and beta3 problem
Date: 1999-06-09 13:53:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Further to my cyrillic charset (--enable-locale) introduced woes, I would like
to add, that when recompiling Postgres 6.5 without --enable-locale now the
query runs reasonably fast and explain gives:

Index Scan using w_k_words_i on words (cost=1112.13 rows=1 width=12)

instead of

Index Scan using w_k_words_i on words (cost=3335.38 rows=1 width=12)

The problem as it seems is that the restrictions to use indexes when locale is
enabled are not consistently applied - explain shows that indices will be
used, and the behavior with indexes and without indexes is different (with
indexes it's noticeably slower :-) so indexes are apparently being used...

Apparently (for my current tests at least) the Bulgarian cyrillic
(windows-1251) is handled reasonably well without locale support - untill now
~* didn't work anyway.

Daniel Kalchev