Problems w/ LO

From: "Brandon Palmer" <bap(at)scl(dot)cwru(dot)edu>
To: "hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org" <hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Problems w/ LO
Date: 1999-05-27 19:25:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I am having some problems w/ LO in postgres 6.5.snapshot (date marked
5/27). Here is the problem:

I am doing a program that will search through ~250M of text in LO
format. The search function seems to be running out of ram as I get a
'NOTICE: ShmemAlloc: out of memory' error after the program runs for a
bit. From running 'free', I can see that I am not using any memory in
my swap space yet, so it does not really seem to be running out of
memory. Postmaster does constantly grow even though I am not
generating any information that should make it grow at all. When I
have commented out the lo_open and lo_close function calls, everything
is ok so I am guessing that there is some kind of a leak in the lo_open
and lo_close functions if not in the back end in postmaster. Come take
a look at the code if you please:

http://x.cwru.edu/~bap/search_4.c

- Brandon

Smith Computer Lab Administrator,
Case Western Reserve University
bap(at)scl(dot)cwru(dot)edu
216 - 368 - 5066
http://cwrulug.cwru.edu

PGP Public Key Fingerprint: 1477 2DCF 8A4F CA2C 8B1F 6DFE 3B7C FDFB