Re: [HACKERS] More PostgreSQL+CORBA

From: Michael Robinson <robinson(at)public(dot)bta(dot)net(dot)cn>
To: scrappy(at)hub(dot)org
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] More PostgreSQL+CORBA
Date: 1998-11-14 03:08:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org> writes:
>> GNOME then adopted ORBit, which has two wins: it's in C, and (this is
>> the biggy) it has provisions to shortcut parameter marshalling,
>
> My experience is that for pretty much every pro, there is a
>con...what are we losing with ORBit that we'd have with mico? Short
>and/or long term? mico is reputed to be Corba 2.2 compliant..orbit?

The big con for ORBit, short term:

% cd /usr/src/gnome/ORBit-0.3.0
% find . -name "*.c" -exec grep "Not yet implemented" {} \; | wc
857 2613 30302

That's 857 items specified in the IDL for ORBit that are currently empty
functions.

I think long-term, with the financial backing of RedHat, and the key role
it plays in the GNOME, I think ORBit will be the premier open-source ORB.

-Michael