varchar vs. upper(), lower() etc.

From: Leslie Mikesell <les(at)Mcs(dot)Net>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: varchar vs. upper(), lower() etc.
Date: 1998-09-15 18:46:31
Lists: pgsql-sql

Is there a trick to making upper(), lower(), ~*, etc. work with varchar
fields? Some things seem to work (select upper(field)), some don't
(where upper(field) = upper(field)), and if I try the obvious casts
to text, I get: ERROR: function text(varchar) does not exist.
Should I just rebuild my database with text fields? I had initially
used varchar so indexes would work through ODBC but it looks like that
is working with text now.

Les Mikesell
les(at)mcs(dot)com