SERIAL data type

From: t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp (Tatsuo Ishii)
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: SERIAL data type
Date: 1998-09-12 01:23:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

A few questions for new SERIAL data type:

o dropping a table including a serial data type does not drop the sequence
corresponding to the table. This prevents re-creating the table.
Do we have to remove the sequence by hand?

o explicit insertion to the serial column sets the value specified.
This is good. However, next implicit insertion results in that
previous value from the sequence + 1 is set.

create table t (c text, i serial);
insert into t values('a');
insert into t values('b',100);
insert into tvalues('c');
select * from t;

a 1
b 100
c 2

This seems a little bit unnatural for me. may be i of the thrid row
should be 101?

--
Tatsuo Ishii
t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp