Re: [HACKERS] Fix for initdb/indexing problems

From: "Thomas A(dot) Szybist" <szybist(at)boxhill(dot)com>
To: Keith Parks <emkxp01(at)mtcc(dot)demon(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Fix for initdb/indexing problems
Date: 1998-09-03 13:23:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

In message <199809030925(dot)KAA18833(at)mtcc(dot)demon(dot)co(dot)uk>, Keith Parks writes:
> Bruce,
>
> Just to confirm, your fixes are just the job.
>
> The regression tests run fine with only the failures I have always
> seen due to maths precision and SIGFPE handling.
>
> Thanks for your persistence in tracking this "bug" down.
>
> Keith.
>

> Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
> >
> > OK, I have found the problem. I looked AGAIN at CatalogIndexInsert(),
> > because all problems seem to be localized there. I remembered something
> > Tom Szybist said yesterday while we were on the phone about Datum only
> > being one value.
> >
> > I said they are chained together, which I saw in IndexFormDatum, but
> > when I looked, I saw that the Datum pointer indexed in IndexFormDatum
> > was only a single Datum value, not an array of datum values like nulls
> > is defined.
> >
> > With single-key system indexes, this was not a problem, but with the new
> > multi-key system indicies, it is.
> >
> > I have attached the patch, and it is applied to the tree. Please let me
> > know if this fixes the many reported index problems. It should.

I just applied this patch to my 08/28 tree. Looks good! I'm seeing a
bunch of other regression test failures, but I think most of these
have been resolved. I compiling a fresh update now. Will report later.
(BTW I'm still in Solaris mode. I'll also take a look at S/Linux).

Thanks!!

Tom Szybist

szybist(at)boxhill(dot)com