Re: [HACKERS] Query cancellation and OOB

From: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: bibach(at)infomansol(dot)com (Brandon Ibach)
Cc: hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Query cancellation and OOB
Date: 1998-05-19 05:15:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> It just occurred to me, while browsing through the last hacker's
> digest, that OOB might be more trouble than it's worth. What about
> having the Postmaster listen on a second socket as an alternative?
> Certain commands could be issued there, outside of the main connection
> (possibly even via UDP) as one-shot deals (not requiring a persistent
> connection) and the postmaster could pass the information on to the
> appropriate backend in a nice, intrusive fashion. :)

Yes, but you have to make sure the cancel is ONLY coming from the proper
client. The signal thing is nice, so how do you simulate that, unless
you have the postmaster send the signal to the proper child?

I hate to add lots of stuff just to get CANCEL to work on unix domain
sockets.

--
Bruce Momjian | 830 Blythe Avenue
maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us | Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania 19026