PostgreSQL bug in UPPER

From: 026809r(at)dragon(dot)acadiau(dot)ca (Michael Richards)
To: scrappy(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: PostgreSQL bug in UPPER
Date: 1998-03-10 22:04:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi:

Little bug causes postgres to die:
sc=> select count(*) from urlcont where (UPPER(url) LIKE '%APOLLO%');
Field| Value
-- RECORD 0 --
count| 1
(1 row)

sc=> select count(*) from urlcont where (UPPER(content) LIKE '%APOLLO%');
FATAL 1: palloc failure: memory exhausted
sc=> select count(*) from urlcont where (UPPER(url) LIKE '%APOLLO%');
Broken pipe
bash$ psql -x sc
Welcome to the POSTGRESQL interactive sql monitor:
Please read the file COPYRIGHT for copyright terms of POSTGRESQL

type \? for help on slash commands
type \q to quit
type \g or terminate with semicolon to execute query
You are currently connected to the database: sc

sc=> select count(*) from urlcont where (UPPER(url) LIKE '%APOLLO%');
Field| Value
-- RECORD 0 --
count| 1
(1 row)