shmem/mmap Q

From: Goran Thyni <goran(at)bildbasen(dot)se>
To: hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: shmem/mmap Q
Date: 1998-02-12 19:44:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

A while back we talked about exec/shmem/mmap.
I am thinking about messing it up and make some test
around this issues when I get some spare time.

I think I figured out that most memory,
at least the buffers is allocated in shmem.

What are the primary reason for this?
Speed? Footprint? Synchonization/Locking? Other?

regards,
Gran Thyni, sysadm, JMS Bildbasen, Kiruna