Re: [HACKERS] Problem with the numbers I reported yesterday

From: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: boersenspiel(at)vocalweb(dot)de (Boersenspielteam)
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Problem with the numbers I reported yesterday
Date: 1998-02-12 14:47:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Hi,
>
> perhaps a stupid question:
>
> What will happen, if you start PostgreSQL with -F and write a script
> which is a loop that fsyncs every 2 seconds? Does this lead to a
> database which is "almost" correct? Does this seem like a good
> compromise?

Well, you really have to sync the data pages BEFORE sync'ing pg_log.
Our buffered logging idea for post-6.3 will do exactly that. I don't
think it is a workaround. You could get pg_log to disk saying a
transaction is complete without getting all the data pages to disk if
the crash happened during the sync.

--
Bruce Momjian
maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us