Re: [HACKERS] Problem with the numbers I reported yesterday

From: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: meskes(at)topsystem(dot)de (Michael Meskes)
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Problem with the numbers I reported yesterday
Date: 1998-02-11 15:31:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I ran my performance tests some more times and it seems the numbers are not
> really comparable. When I run PostgreSQL without -F I get a sync after every
> insert. With -F I get no sync at all as all inserts fit well into the
> buffer. However, Oracle in comparison does sync. Simply hearing the disk
> access it seems as if they sync every two or three seconds.
>
> Does anyone know a way to really check both DBMSs?

Many dbms's do buffered logging, that is they sync after the buffer gets
full or after a minute or so. We have the logic to add buffered logging
to PostgreSQL and will be doing it later. Right now, we only have
non-buffered logging, and no logging.

--
Bruce Momjian
maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us