Re: [HACKERS] Re: atttypmod of 0

From: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andreas(dot)Zeugswetter(at)telecom(dot)at (Zeugswetter Andreas DBT)
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: atttypmod of 0
Date: 1998-02-05 17:41:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> This time it's during the parser (gdb told me). varcharin()
> is called with a atttypmod of 0 causing a palloc() of 0
> bytes. How should a VARCHAR type whithout a specified length
> behave? Is this type 1 character or a variable size up to
> 4096?
>
> I thought we fixed this on Feb 3. look at
> parse_expr.c line 104: it should read:
> if (con->typename != NULL)
> ! result = parser_typecast(val,
> con->typename, -1);
> else
>
> I think all funcs calling with atttypmod = 0 are allways wrong, should
> be -1.
> or a number > 0 (or 4 if atttypmod includes the VARHDRSZ don't know)
>
> Andreas

Yes, we did, but now I fixed varcharin, and bpcharin to test for
atttypmod of 0 and do the right thing, I think. If we need to make the
default atttypmod value -1, then we can change it back. Let me know if
the current fix does not work.

Should I make atttypmod default to -1?

--
Bruce Momjian
maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us