Re: [HACKERS] ODBC & LGPL license...

From: "Kent S(dot) Gordon" <kgor(at)inetspace(dot)com>
To: scrappy(at)hub(dot)org
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] ODBC & LGPL license...
Date: 1998-01-14 00:02:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Hi...

> Well, since this has all sort of died off, and since I'd like
> to get some resolution on it.

> Does anyone here *understand* the LGPL? If we put the ODBC
> drivers *under* src/interfaces, does that risk contaminating the
> rest of the code *in any way*? Anyone here done a reasonably
> thorough study of the LGPL and can comment on it?

Why not put the LGPL libraries in a separate area from the rest of the
code (src/lgpl?). This would make the libraries covered by the
aggregation clause (part of section 2 says -- In addition, mere
aggregation of another work not based on the Library with the Library
(or with a work based on the Library) on a volume of a storage or
distribution medium does not bring the other work under the scope of
this License.). I think this clearly states that it would not risk
contaminating any of the other code.

I would consider sending mail to GNU (gnu(at)gnu(dot)org) to get any
additional clarification needed.

Kent S. Gordon
Architect
iNetSpace Co.
voice: (972)851-3494 fax:(972)702-0384 e-mail:kgor(at)inetspace(dot)com