Re: [NOVICE] General Performance questions

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Lonni J Friedman <lfriedman(at)vasoftware(dot)com>
Cc: "Delao, Darryl W" <ddelao(at)ou(dot)edu>, "'pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "'pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [NOVICE] General Performance questions
Date: 2003-03-10 20:33:28
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-novice

Lonni J Friedman <lfriedman(at)vasoftware(dot)com> writes:
> Well, it was over a year ago. basically what happened was that whenever i
> set the value to be anything greater than 32, postmaster failed to start.

Failed to start with what error message, exactly? It sounds to me like
you are describing a problem with unreasonably low kernel parameters,
not with Postgres. (In particular I'd wonder what SEMMAX is on your
system, though I suppose SHMMAX might be the issue too. See the Admin
Guide concerning care and feeding of kernel parameters.)

> bring it back down to a value less than or equal to 32, and it started up
> fine. after recompiling postgresql with a hardcoded value of 64, then i
> was able to increase it in postgresql.conf.

Hardcoded value of what?