Re: PG10 - Out of shared memory / invalid memory alloc request size

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Arjun Ranade <ranade(at)nodalexchange(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Aguayo Garcia-Rada <aaguayo(at)opensysperu(dot)com>, pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PG10 - Out of shared memory / invalid memory alloc request size
Date: 2017-11-14 20:15:29
Lists: pgsql-admin

Arjun Ranade <ranade(at)nodalexchange(dot)com> writes:
> We will try that. I am wondering why we need to worry about this in pg10
> whereas we had no issues with shared memory in 9.4

What it looks like to me is something is miscomputing a memory request
size and asking for some silly amount of memory. I think you're dealing
with a software bug, not inadequate configuration.

> Anecdotally it seems that these errors are happening when
> powa_take_snapshot() (Postgres workload analyzer) is running as well but
> I can't confirm that.

The first theory that comes to mind is that powa_take_snapshot() requires
some updates for PG10. I do not know what that function is or where you
got it from, but if there's any C code involved, you need to discuss this
with its developer(s).