Re: Dataset is fetched from cache but still takes same time to fetch records as first run

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Sumeet Shukla <sumeet(dot)k(dot)shukla(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Dave Stibrany <dstibrany(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Dataset is fetched from cache but still takes same time to fetch records as first run
Date: 2017-06-23 04:50:31
Lists: pgsql-performance

Sumeet Shukla <sumeet(dot)k(dot)shukla(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> Yes, but when I actually execute the query in pgAdmin3, it takes exactly
> the same time of 19.5 secs.

pgAdmin is well known to be horribly inefficient at displaying large
query results (and 121788 rows qualifies as "large" for this purpose,
I believe). The circa-tenth-of-a-second savings on the server side
is getting swamped by client-side processing.

It's possible that pgAdmin4 has improved matters in this area.