Re: share library version problems

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bryan White <bryan(at)arcamax(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: share library version problems
Date: 2006-08-23 15:38:24
Lists: pgsql-general

Bryan White <bryan(at)arcamax(dot)com> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Don't do the rpmbuild as root.

> I think I have it solved now. I am not to familiar with the process of
> building from source RPMs. You said to not do it as root but that meant
> I did not have write access to /usr/src/redhat.

Well, nobody at Red Hat builds RPMs in /usr/src/redhat anymore ;-).
The setup I use involves creating a directory ~/rpmwork, making
these subdirectories in it:
BUILD/ RPMS/ SOURCES/ SPECS/ SRPMS/
and making a file ~/.rpmmacros containing just
%_topdir /home/tgl/rpmwork
(adjust to suit where your work dir actually is of course). To build,
copy the SRPM into the SRPMS subdirectory, cd there, and go
rpmbuild --rebuild srpmfilename
The only part you need root for is actually installing the built RPMs
(which end up under the RPMS directory of course).