Re: ERROR: function round(double precision, integer) does not exist - WTF?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Glen Parker" <glenebob(at)nwlink(dot)com>
Cc: "Pg-General" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ERROR: function round(double precision, integer) does not exist - WTF?
Date: 2004-03-05 02:18:23
Lists: pgsql-general

"Glen Parker" <glenebob(at)nwlink(dot)com> writes:
> DB=# select round(1.25::float, 2);
> ERROR: function round(double precision, integer) does not exist

> What the heck? This can't be right... Can it?

regression=# \df round
List of functions
Result data type | Schema | Name | Argument data types
double precision | pg_catalog | round | double precision
numeric | pg_catalog | round | numeric
numeric | pg_catalog | round | numeric, integer
(3 rows)

Looks right to me: the only 2-arg flavor of round() is on numeric,
not float8.

You could always cast the float to numeric, of course. I think in
7.2 such conversions were allowed silently, but we have reduced the
number of implicit type coercions.