Re: autovacuum daemon question...

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Joe Maldonado <joe(dot)maldonado(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)tocr(dot)com>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: autovacuum daemon question...
Date: 2005-11-09 21:25:56
Lists: pgsql-admin

Joe Maldonado <joe(dot)maldonado(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I agree...for now while I'm developing and debugging my application I can
> have the logging be that verbose...I agree that these should be handled as
> info messages, since they are invaluable in investigating problems.

This would be a pretty bad idea IMHO, since it would lead to bloating
the logs with autovacuum progress messages by default --- and whatever
you may think about it, I really doubt that the average DBA will want
those messages there all the time.

I wonder whether it would be practical to let the autovacuum daemon have
its own value of log_min_messages. The alternative to that seems to be
to invent a new log severity level just for autovacuum, which is pretty
gross (especially since it's not obvious how it should sort relative to
LOG and DEBUG1).