Re: Lots of incorrect comments in nodeFuncs.c

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Lots of incorrect comments in nodeFuncs.c
Date: 2021-04-08 22:11:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I noticed that nodeFuncs.c appears to have some pretty sloppy work
> done in many of the comments. Many look like they've just not been
> updated from a copy/paste/edit from another node function.
> The attached aims to clean these up.

I believe every one of these changes is wrong.
For instance:

case T_ScalarArrayOpExpr:
- coll = InvalidOid; /* result is always boolean */
+ coll = InvalidOid; /* result is always InvalidOid */
break;

The point here is that the result type of ScalarArrayOpExpr is boolean,
which has no collation, therefore reporting its collation as InvalidOid
is correct. Maybe there's a clearer way to say that, but your text is
more confusing not less so.

Likewise, the point of the annotations in exprSetCollation is to not
let a collation be applied to a node that must have a noncollatable
result type.