Re: Array access performance

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andreas Brandl <ml(at)3(dot)141592654(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Array access performance
Date: 2011-08-02 14:49:41
Lists: pgsql-performance

Andreas Brandl <ml(at)3(dot)141592654(dot)de> writes:
> I'm looking for a hint how array access performs in PostgreSQL in respect to performance. Normally I would expect access of a 1-dimensional Array at slot i (array[i]) to perform in constant time (random access).

> Is this also true for postgres' arrays?

Only if the element type is fixed-length (no strings for instance) and
the array does not contain, and never has contained, any nulls.
Otherwise a scan through all the previous elements is required to find
a particular element.

By and large, if you're thinking of using arrays large enough to make
this an interesting question, I would say stop right there and redesign
your database schema. You're not thinking relationally, and it's gonna
cost ya.