Re: Foreign key joins revisited

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Vik Fearing <vik(at)postgresfriends(dot)org>
Cc: Joel Jacobson <joel(at)compiler(dot)org>, Isaac Morland <isaac(dot)morland(at)gmail(dot)com>, Corey Huinker <corey(dot)huinker(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Foreign key joins revisited
Date: 2021-12-28 20:10:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Vik Fearing <vik(at)postgresfriends(dot)org> writes:
> On 12/28/21 8:26 PM, Joel Jacobson wrote:
>> Can with think of some other suitable reserved keyword?

> I don't particularly like this whole idea anyway, but if we're going to
> have it, I would suggest

> JOIN ... USING KEY ...

That would read well, which is nice, but I wonder if it wouldn't induce
confusion. You'd have to explain that it didn't work like standard
USING in the sense of merging the join-key columns.

... unless, of course, we wanted to make it do so. Would that
be sane? Which name (referenced or referencing column) would
the merged column have?