Re: Cutting support for OpenSSL 1.0.1 and 1.0.2 in 17~?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Jacob Champion <jacob(dot)champion(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, mikael(dot)kjellstrom(at)gmail(dot)com
Subject: Re: Cutting support for OpenSSL 1.0.1 and 1.0.2 in 17~?
Date: 2024-04-06 14:04:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se> writes:
>> On 6 Apr 2024, at 08:02, Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org> wrote:
>> Why do we need to check for the versions at all? We should just check for the functions we need. At least that's always been the normal approach in configure.

> We could, but finding a stable set of functions which identifies the version of
> OpenSSL *and* LibreSSL that we want, and their successors, while not matching
> any older versions seemed more opaque than testing two numeric values.

I don't think you responded to Peter's point at all. The way autoconf
is designed to work is explicitly NOT to try to identify the exact
version of $whatever. Rather, the idea is to probe for the API
features that you want to rely on: functions, macros, struct fields,
or the like. If you can't point to an important API difference
between 1.0.2 and 1.1.1, why drop support for 1.0.2?