Re: Sv: Conflict between autovacuum and backup restoration

From: Ekaterina Amez <ekaterina(dot)amez(at)zunibal(dot)com>
To: Andreas Joseph Krogh <andreas(at)visena(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Sv: Conflict between autovacuum and backup restoration
Date: 2019-10-18 08:59:18
Lists: pgsql-general

El 17/10/19 a las 16:12, Andreas Joseph Krogh escribió:

> But I don't understand why I'm getting those messages about autovacuum
> blocking db restore process. I guess that after one table is created
> with COPY sentence, as many rows have been inserted, autoanalyze
> process
> runs to gather statistics for the Execution Planner. But why is
> happening this block? Is autoanalyze running before the table gets
> fully
> loaded? Is this really a problem? If so, how can I handle it? This
> task
> is running at night, when nobody is using second database.
>

> Thank you for reading,
>
> Ekaterina
>
> It is normal to get these "canceling autovacuum"-messages when
> restoring a database, just ignore them.
> If it bothers you, just turn autovacuum off by setting this in
> postgresql.conf:
> autovacuum = off
> and reload the config (SIGHUP)

The server stores more Production databases and I don't want to
interfere with them, and turning off autovacuum will affect all of them.

I've been looking for other parameters that could help me to avoid
autoanalyze during  backup restoration but all of them (at least the
ones I've been exploring) have sighup context associated, like
autovacuum. Is there any parameter (in v8.4) that could somehow stop
autoanalyze only in the connection used to restore the database?