Re: still gin index creation takes forever

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>
Cc: Ivan Sergio Borgonovo <mail(at)webthatworks(dot)it>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, Gianni Ciolli <gianni(dot)ciolli(at)2ndquadrant(dot)it>
Subject: Re: still gin index creation takes forever
Date: 2008-11-13 17:47:08
Lists: pgsql-general

Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru> writes:
>> We could extend IndexBuildHeapScan's API to support that, but I'm
>> not quite convinced that this is the issue.

> That extension might be useful for bitmap index too to simplify index creation
> process.

Maybe, but in any case the measurable GIN speed penalty justifies
changing it; I've applied a patch for that. I'm still not quite
convinced that Ivan isn't seeing some other issue though.

In the meantime, I noticed something odd while experimenting with your
test case: when running with default maintenance_work_mem = 16MB,
there is a slowdown of 3x or 4x for the un-ordered case, just as you
say. But at maintenance_work_mem = 200MB I see very little difference.
This doesn't make sense to me --- it seems like a larger workspace
should result in more difference because of greater chance to dump a
lot of tuples into the index at once. Do you know why that's happening?