Re: BUG #17349: Function gen_random_uuid duplicates in pgcrypto and core

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: andreas(dot)dijkman(at)cygnis(dot)nl
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #17349: Function gen_random_uuid duplicates in pgcrypto and core
Date: 2021-12-28 17:41:56
Lists: pgsql-bugs

PG Bug reporting form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
> As stated in
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/pgcrypto.html#id-1.11.7.35.10, the
> function gen_random_uuid is now part of core PostgreSQL. Shouldn't this
> function be removed from the pgcrypto-extension as of PostgreSQL 13?

pg_crypto's gen_random_uuid() is now just a wrapper for the core function.
Taking it out entirely would save only a couple lines of code.

> If you install the pgcrypto-extension in the pg_catalog-schema (yes, I'm
> aware if installing it in public the error doesn't occur) you get an
> error:

The contrary side of that is that taking it out of the extension could
break applications that expect gen_random_uuid() to exist in the
extension's schema. I don't think we consider installing extensions
in pg_catalog to be a supported case, anyway.

See previous discussion at

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/5b2c6230-e0b9-59a9-b945-c7d38fdae296%402ndquadrant.com#7ff316009e81aad797b6c0136251118c