Re: PG+Cygwin Production Experience (was RE: Path to PostgreSQL porta biliy)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Henshall, Stuart - WCP" <SHenshall(at)westcountrypublications(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org>, mlw <markw(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Jan Wieck <janwieck(at)yahoo(dot)com>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, Dann Corbit <DCorbit(at)connx(dot)com>, Joel Burton <joel(at)joelburton(dot)com>
Subject: Re: PG+Cygwin Production Experience (was RE: Path to PostgreSQL porta biliy)
Date: 2002-05-09 13:51:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Henshall, Stuart - WCP" <SHenshall(at)westcountrypublications(dot)co(dot)uk> writes:
> Cygwin is not the only additon needed, cygipc will also be needed (GPL)
> (see: http://www.neuro.gatech.edu/users/cwilson/cygutils/cygipc/index.html )

Good point, but is this a requirement that we could get rid of, now that
we have the SysV IPC stuff somewhat isolated? AFAICT cygipc provides
the SysV IPC API (shmget, semget, etc) --- but if there are usable
equivalents in the basic Cygwin environment, we could probably use them
now.

Considering how often we see the forgot-to-start-cygipc mistake,
removing this requirement would be a clear win.