Re: pg_ctl -w port detection

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: greg(at)turnstep(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_ctl -w port detection
Date: 2003-02-22 16:54:42
Lists: pgsql-patches

greg(at)turnstep(dot)com writes:
>> Seems reasonable ... but you forgot to update the pg_ctl manual page.

> I looked that over, but could not really see where any addition was
> needed, as the -w flag is given a fairly cursory mention. Suggestions
> welcome of course. :)

The dependency on PGPORT should be mentioned under Environment,
for one thing. But really the problem here is that there's no
discussion of pg_ctl's use of psql for watching postmaster startup,
other than the *very* cursory mention under Notes. That should be
expanded, IMHO, because it's the source of most problems with pg_ctl.