Re: Conditional INSERT

From: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
To: Ken Tanzer <ken(dot)tanzer(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Conditional INSERT
Date: 2019-03-16 00:41:20
Lists: pgsql-general

On 3/15/19 5:19 PM, Ken Tanzer wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 15, 2019 at 4:42 PM Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com
> <mailto:adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>> wrote:

> OK, and thanks for the info. I've gleaned that rules are not
> "deprecated" in the sense that they are slated for removal, but they are
> rather discouraged.  Since that's the case, wouldn't it make sense to
> warn users about this?  That might keep them away from rules, and ease
> any eventual deprecation/transition issues you might have by lowering
> the number of "rules" in the wild.

Well then there is this section:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/11/rules-views.html

So as was mentioned in thread I posted, until someone comes up with a
replacement they are not going away.

> In the section on "Rules vs. Triggers" (41.7), it doesn't even hint at
> this, and even says:
>
> /"For the things that can be implemented by both, which is best depends
> on the usage of the database."
> /
>
> There _is_ a nice CAUTION box in 41.4 ("Rules on Insert, Update and
> Delete").  I would suggest that something like that should go into Rules
> vs. Triggers, and then have a short caution box at the top of perhaps
> every Rule page (or at the very least for "CREATE RULE") that says
> something like "Rules are discouraged.  You may be better off with
> Triggers instead.  See <rules_v_triggers>."
>
> Just my two cents, but that might help more people be aware of the issue
> and avoid rules altogether.

I thought I remember there being something like in a older version of
the docs. I can't find it now, so it might be just my mind playing
tricks on me.