Re: "Could not open relation XXX: No such file or directory"

From: Yaroslav Tykhiy <yar(at)barnet(dot)com(dot)au>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: "Could not open relation XXX: No such file or directory"
Date: 2009-08-21 01:30:06
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi there,

On 19/08/2009, at 8:38 PM, Craig Ringer wrote:

> On 19/08/2009 6:26 PM, Alan Millington wrote:
>
>> 2009-08-19 03:06:45 ERROR: could not read block 0 of relation
>> 1663/52752/52896: No such file or directory
>
>> Clearly something is amiss, but I don't know what. I should be
>> grateful
>> for any suggestions as to what I should check.
>
> Got a virus scanner installed? If so, remove it (do not just disable
> it) and see if you can reproduce the problem. Ditto anti-spyware
> software.
>
> You should also `chkdsk' your file system(s) and use a SMART
> diagnostic tool to test your hard disk (assuming it's a single ATA
> disk).

By the way, `chkdsk' in Windows or `fsck' in Unix can, in a way, be a
_source_ of file loss if the file metadata got damaged badly, e.g., by
a system crash, and the file node has to be cleared. So I've always
been curious if there is a way to retrieve surviving records from a
PostgreSQL database damaged by file loss. Do you know any? (Of
course, the only true solution is to have been making backups
beforehand, but...)

Thanks!

Yar