Re: Posgresql Log: lots of parse statements

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Vikas Sharma <shavikas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Posgresql Log: lots of parse statements
Date: 2018-03-01 17:26:43
Lists: pgsql-general

Vikas Sharma <shavikas(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> But why are there so many parse statement occurances for one query?

A "parse" log entry is recorded when the client sends a Parse protocol
message. So the answer to that question needs to be sought in your
client application's logic.

> In the log I can see these parse statement occurances about 400 times in a
> day and everytime taking longer than 15 secs.

That seems like a mighty long time for parse analysis. Maybe you're
having difficulties with something taking exclusive locks, thereby
blocking other queries?