Re: Fixing cache pollution in the Kerberos test suite

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Jacob Champion <pchampion(at)vmware(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Fixing cache pollution in the Kerberos test suite
Date: 2021-01-25 18:49:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> * Jacob Champion (pchampion(at)vmware(dot)com) wrote:
>> I was running tests with a GSS-enabled stack, and ran into some very
>> long psql timeouts after running the Kerberos test suite. It turns out
>> the suite pushes test credentials into the user's global cache, and
>> these no-longer-useful credentials persist after the suite has
>> finished. (You can see this in action by running the test/kerberos
>> suite and then running `klist`.) This leads to long hangs, I assume
>> while the GSS implementation tries to contact a KDC that no longer
>> exists.
>> Attached is a patch that initializes a local credentials cache inside
>> tmp_check/krb5cc, and tells psql to use it via the KRB5CCNAME envvar.
>> This prevents the global cache pollution. WDYT?

> Ah, yeah, that generally seems like a good idea.

Yeah, changing global state is just awful. However, I don't
actually see any change here (RHEL8):

$ klist
klist: Credentials cache 'KCM:1001' not found
$ make check
Result: PASS
$ klist
klist: Credentials cache 'KCM:1001' not found

I suppose in an environment where someone was really using Kerberos,
the random kinit would be more of a problem.

Also, why are you only setting the ENV variable within narrow parts
of the test script? I'd be inclined to enforce it throughout.