Re: Multiple clusters with same tablespace location

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Nate Dudenhoeffer <ndudenhoeffer(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Melvin Davidson <melvin6925(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Multiple clusters with same tablespace location
Date: 2016-07-20 16:16:30
Lists: pgsql-general

Nate Dudenhoeffer <ndudenhoeffer(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> The issue is that both clusters are using a base_backup and wal restore
> from the same master database, so when they are restored, the tablespace
> will already exist. Is there a way to change the tablespace location during
> the recovery process?

You would definitely need each slave to have its own copy of the
tablespace. I've not done this myself and would strongly recommend
testing on non-production instances, but I believe you can make it work
by adjusting each slave's $PGDATA/pg_tblspc symlinks to point to different
locations. When setting up new slave instances, pg_basebackup's
--tablespace-mapping option would help you with that. For an existing
slave instance, you'd need to shut it down while manually moving the
tablespace directory(s) and re-pointing the symlink(s).