Re: The backend has broken the connection...

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: bcarterette(at)mail(dot)liberty(dot)k12(dot)mo(dot)us
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: The backend has broken the connection...
Date: 2002-01-08 22:37:57
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

bcarterette(at)mail(dot)liberty(dot)k12(dot)mo(dot)us writes:
> I am running several databases on a PostgresQL server and webapps to go
> with them on another server. For the past couple of days, several times
> a day I've been getting a "The backend has broken the connection.
> Possibly the action you have attempted has caused it to close." error.
> When this happens, all connections close and anyone in the middle of a
> session is screwed.

Sounds like you are seeing backend crashes. Does the postmaster log
show any complaints about unexpected child process exits? Are there
any core files laying about in the database subdirectories? Ideally
I'd like to see a debugger backtrace from a core file ...

In any case, this is not a Java or JDBC problem, it's a backend problem.