Re: initdb with lc-collate=C

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Scot Kreienkamp <SKreien(at)la-z-boy(dot)com>
Cc: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Postgres General (pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org)" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: initdb with lc-collate=C
Date: 2011-12-13 05:00:06
Lists: pgsql-general

Scot Kreienkamp <SKreien(at)la-z-boy(dot)com> writes:
> There wasn't any output from the initdb other than OK.
> [root(at)dvrv5030 9.1]# /etc/init.d/postgresql-9.1 initdb --lc-collate=C
> Initializing database: [ OK ]

Um. This isn't running initdb: this is running the package's initscript
and hoping it will pass the switch you supplied through to initdb.
If it doesn't, you'll get whatever locale is default in root's environment.

I gather from the package name that you're using Devrim's packages not
mine, so I don't know for sure what will happen here ... but I'm pretty
sure that that extra switch would *not* be honored in the Red Hat/Fedora
initscripts.

My suggestion for this would be to "su - postgres" and then run initdb
directly.