Re: SPI_ERROR_CONNECT

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Willem Buitendyk <willem(at)pcfish(dot)ca>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SPI_ERROR_CONNECT
Date: 2008-02-12 06:43:45
Lists: pgsql-general

Willem Buitendyk <willem(at)pcfish(dot)ca> writes:
> I sent you a test case.

Thanks for the test case --- I've committed a patch:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/2008-02/msg00108.php

> The problem has since been resolved by changing
> one of my functions to VOLATILE instead of IMMUTABLE. This has caught
> me twice now in the last few days.

That's a fairly bad workaround (assuming that the function is a
legitimate candidate to be IMMUTABLE) because it defeats potential
optimizations.

What I'd suggest you do instead is rethink your apparently widespread
habit of whacking your view definitions around on-the-fly. This would
never have worked at all before PG 8.3 (and as you can see we still have
some bugs left in supporting it in 8.3 :-(). Even when it does work,
there is a whole lot of frantic paddling going on just under the
surface. We may sail serenely on like the swan, but not very speedily