Re: Options for more aggressive space reclamation in vacuuming?

From: Paul Smith <paul(at)pscs(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Wells Oliver <wells(dot)oliver(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-admin" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Options for more aggressive space reclamation in vacuuming?
Date: 2023-05-14 22:08:27
Lists: pgsql-admin

Have you tuned the autovacuum settings? We've found the defaults to not be
great for large tables

Eg autovacuum_vacuum_scale_factor defaults to 0.2, so 20% of the tuples
need to be deleted/updated before a vacuum us triggered. If there are a
billion rows, that means there needs to be 200 million deleted rows to
trigger the autovacuum

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/routine-vacuuming.html#AUTOVACUUM

Maybe try changing autovacuum_vacuum_scale_factor to 0.001 or something for
that large table

Paul