Re: getting pg_basebackup to use remote destination

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Chuck Martin <clmartin(at)theombudsman(dot)com>, pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: getting pg_basebackup to use remote destination
Date: 2018-12-30 16:20:11
Lists: pgsql-general

On 29/12/2018 20:04, Chuck Martin wrote:
> I thought I knew how to do this, but I apparently don't. I have to set
> up a new server as a standby for a PG 11.1 server. The main server has a
> lot more resources than the standby. What I want to do is run
> pg_basebackup on the main server with the output going to the data
> directory on the new server. But when I give this command:
>
> pg_basebackup -D "ssh root(at)10(dot)0(dot)1(dot)16:/mnt/dbraid/data" -P -v -X s
>

> it instead writes to my root drive which doesn't have the space, so it
> fails and deletes the partial backup.

What you might be thinking of is the "old" method of doing base backups
before pg_basebackup: Call pg_start_backup() and then do file system
operations (tar, scp, whatever) to move the data files to where you want
them. This is mostly obsolete. You should run pg_basebackup on the
host where you want to set up your standby.