Max tables in a cluster?

From: Karthik Krishnakumar <karthikk(at)zohocorp(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-admin" <pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Max tables in a cluster?
Date: 2023-04-05 07:07:41
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi admins,

Is there a limit to number of tables that a cluster can support?

At the moment, one of my clusters has about 250k user tables (plus 150k toast tables) across a hundred schemas within a single database.

My application team wants to double the number of schemas (and with it the tables)

I am looking for both pros and cons of doing this and what tuning can help this cluster perform acceptably.

My questions are

1. Is there a limit to number of tables a cluster can support effectively?

2. My guess is autovacuum would have to be tuned. Current gucs for this are

max_autovacuum_workers = 6

maintenance_work_mem = 1GB

autovacuum_vacuum_scale_factor = 0.2

autovacuum_vacuum_cost_delay = 20ms

Are there any potential problems that I need to think about ?

My machine specs are as below.

RAM 256GB

32-core CPU

7TB SSD