Re: server resetting

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Geoffrey <esoteric(at)3times25(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL List <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: server resetting
Date: 2006-09-18 22:54:29
Lists: pgsql-general

Geoffrey <esoteric(at)3times25(dot)net> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Well, these make it clear that you've got some pretty big chunks of
>> nonstandard code in the backend, so my first thought is that there's a
>> memory-clobber bug somewhere in that.

> I'm not sure what you mean by 'nonstandard code,' could you expand on
> that?

The traces include code from /usr/local/lib/libgrid.so and
/usr/local/lib/libpcmsrv.so ... I don't know what those are,
but I'm quite sure they are not invoked by a standard Postgres build.
I also find it suggestive that they appear to have been written in C++
... we've seen problems before from trying to link C++ code into the
backend, because it tends to bring along its own incompatible ideas
about how to do error recovery and memory management.