Re: Re: MySQL's (false?) claims... (was: Re: PL/java?)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Lincoln Yeoh <lyeoh(at)pop(dot)jaring(dot)my>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Sean Chittenden <sean-pgsql-general(at)chittenden(dot)org>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Gowey, Geoffrey" <ggowey(at)rxhope(dot)com>, "'Dr(dot) Evil'" <drevil(at)sidereal(dot)kz>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: MySQL's (false?) claims... (was: Re: PL/java?)
Date: 2001-08-26 16:09:23
Lists: pgsql-general

Lincoln Yeoh <lyeoh(at)pop(dot)jaring(dot)my> writes:
>> => PostgreSQL does not allow you to access more than one database per
>> connection. This makes the system much safer and allows for more robust
>> design.

> How does that makes things safer etc etc? I believe that this is a genuine
> limitation.

It's unlikely that the "one DB per connection" limitation will ever
change. What is likely to happen (for 7.3, with any luck) is that we
will implement SQL92-compatible schema naming within the traditional
Postgres notion of a database. More than likely, most installations
will then migrate to keeping all their stuff in multiple schemas within
one big database, and the issue will cease to be a problem in practice
even though the technical limitation is still there.

I have no doubt that MySQL's comparison page will keep pointing to this
issue as a fatal limitation of PG long after it ceases to be a problem,
however ;-)

>> * Tools to repair and optimize MyISAM tables (the most common MySQL table
>> type).
>>
>> => In MySQL you have to repair your tables manually if corruption occurs.
>> PostgreSQL is coded so that corruption cannot occur.

> I sure hope so.

A more accurate way of stating this is "we prefer to spend our
development time on eliminating bugs, not on devising tools to clean up
after bugs".