Re: Explanation of pg_column_size

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Steve Baldwin <steve(dot)baldwin(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Explanation of pg_column_size
Date: 2016-08-01 22:13:18
Lists: pgsql-novice

Steve Baldwin <steve(dot)baldwin(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> Can someone please explain the following to me:

> mse=# with l as (select 0.1::numeric as numlit) select
> pg_column_size(numlit) as sz_numlit, pg_column_size(0.1::numeric) as
> sz_expr from l;
> sz_numlit | sz_expr
> 5 | 8
> (1 row)

I think the first case is putting the value into a tuple, which will cause
it to be trimmed to short-header form (1 length byte, 4 payload bytes).
In the other case you're looking at a raw numeric_in result, which will
be in the default 4-byte-length-word format (plus the same 4 payload
bytes). The former would be a more accurate representation of how
big this specific value would be on-disk.