Re: pgindent run next week?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgindent run next week?
Date: 2019-05-17 19:10:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 2019-05-17 13:47:02 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I dunno, how far back are you thinking? I've occasionally wished we
>> could reindent all the back branches to match HEAD, but realistically,
>> people carrying out-of-tree patches would scream.

> I somehow thought we'd backpatched pgindent changes before, around when
> moving to the newer version of indent. But I think we might just have
> discussed that, and then didn't go for it...

Yeah, we talked about it but never actually did it.

> Not sure if a three-way merge wouldn't take care of many, but not all,
> the out-of-tree patch concerns.

I was wondering about "patch --ignore-whitespace" myself. In theory,
to the extent that our recent rounds of pgindent fixes just change
indentation, that would be able to cope (most of the time anyway).
But I don't think I'd want to just assume that without testing.

Anybody around here got large patches they're carrying against
back branches, that they could try reapplying after running
a newer version of pgindent?