Re: pgsql: Minor pg_dump improvements

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql: Minor pg_dump improvements
Date: 2014-02-09 18:55:03
Lists: pgsql-committers

> The only remaining place we still clear errno in pg_dump is in
> pg_backup_archive.c:checkSeek() around a similar ftello call, perhaps
> that should be changed to check the result instead also?

Agreed; we should be using the same coding pattern wherever we call
ftello.

I suspect that this code may be left over from coping with some ancient
non-spec-compliant version of ftello? Probably not worth digging in
the archives to find out. The Single Unix Spec v2 says that the result
is (off_t) -1 on error, and we generally assume that platforms are at
least compliant with that.

grep shows me a couple of other places where the result of ftello doesn't
seem to be getting checked for error. Odd that Coverity didn't notice
those.