BUG #18572: Crash during postgresql-16.3-2-windows-x64.exe installation

From: PG Bug reporting form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: ptobey(at)rainbird(dot)com
Subject: BUG #18572: Crash during postgresql-16.3-2-windows-x64.exe installation
Date: 2024-08-06 20:02:42
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 18572
Logged by: Paul Tobey
Email address: ptobey(at)rainbird(dot)com
PostgreSQL version: 16.3
Operating system: Windows 10

When installing on Windows 10 I've hit this error, displayed in a dialog
during unattended mode installation:

"Error copying file from packed archive [location] to [temp
folder]/prerun_checks.vbs: Destination not writable" with Abort, Retry,
Ignore

If I Abort, the follow up message is:

"system's temp folder is not writable by the current user"

The folder *is* writable by the user running the exe (who is a member of the
Administrators group, BTW). I've captured the
installbuilder_installer_[number].log file, but there's nothing very
obviously useful there (I've obfuscated my domain and user names):

Log started 08/06/2024 at 12:49:31
Preferred installation mode : unattended
Trying to init installer in mode qt
Mode qt successfully initialized
Setting variable whoami from C:\WINDOWS\System32\whoami
Script exit code: 0

Script output:
[mydomain]\[myusername]

Script stderr:

As I recall, there was a similar issue in Windows Server for a time, fixed
in 16.3-2. There still seems to be a problem in the Win 1x OSes.