BUG #18561: postgresql16-devel rpm cannot be installed due to missing Perl-IPC-Run

From: PG Bug reporting form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: tim(at)dysinger(dot)net
Subject: BUG #18561: postgresql16-devel rpm cannot be installed due to missing Perl-IPC-Run
Date: 2024-07-31 15:16:55
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 18561
Logged by: Tim Dysinger
Email address: tim(at)dysinger(dot)net
PostgreSQL version: 16.3
Operating system: RedHat 9, Alma Linux 9, Rocky Linux 9

If you grab a fresh RedHat 9 image and try to install PGDG rpms from your
repository like so:

dnf install -y
https://download.postgresql.org/pub/repos/yum/reporpms/EL-9-x86_64/pgdg-redhat-repo-latest.noarch.rpm
dnf install -y postgresql16-server postgresql16-devel

It fails with a missing Perl IPC Run which is not available anywhere in the
RedHat ecosystem as far as I can tell. I'm trying to create custom postgres
extensions and package them as RPMs for distribution. For that to work I
need to match against the official PGDG packages. I can't even compile the
extensions against PGDG's RedHat packages right now. Please advise.

```
25.67 Error:
25.67 Problem: cannot install the best candidate for the job
25.67 - nothing provides perl(IPC::Run) needed by
postgresql16-devel-16.3-1PGDG.rhel9.x86_64 from pgdg16
25.67 (try to add '--skip-broken' to skip uninstallable packages or
'--nobest' to use not only best candidate packages)
```

Thank you for your advice and help.