Re: assertion failure 9.3.4

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>
Subject: Re: assertion failure 9.3.4
Date: 2014-04-21 17:03:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> 1) I've confirmed at the 2nd site that the issue doesn't happen if
> pg_stat_statements.so is not loaded. So this seems to be confirmation
> that either auto_explain, pg_stat_statements, or both need to be loaded
> (but not necessarily created as extensions) in order to have the issue.

I looked a little bit for possible interactions between those two modules,
and almost immediately noticed that pg_stat_statements is not being polite
enough to call any previous occupant of the post_parse_analyze_hook.
That's not the bug we're looking for, since auto_explain does not use
post_parse_analyze_hook, but it's a bug nonetheless.