BUG #18525: Boolean aggregate functions like EVERY/BOOL_AND should shortcut

From: PG Bug reporting form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: blamario(at)protonmail(dot)com
Subject: BUG #18525: Boolean aggregate functions like EVERY/BOOL_AND should shortcut
Date: 2024-06-28 07:14:21
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 18525
Logged by: Mario
Email address: blamario(at)protonmail(dot)com
PostgreSQL version: 13.10
Operating system: Linux

This is a feature request, not a bug strictly speaking. I'm working with a
query of the form

```
SELECT
EVERY (field1 IS NULL) AS field1,
EVERY (field2 IS NULL) AS field2,
EVERY (field255 IS NULL) AS field255
FROM large_table
```

The goal is to establish if there are any columns that are always NULL, and
if so which ones. I was hoping that the EVERY aggregate functions would
_shortcut_ the aggregate as soon as a non-null value was encountered, and
furthermore that the SELECT statement would stop searching once all results
are established to be false. That's not happening: PostgreSQL takes two
hours to search through the entire long table, returning all false.